Last month, the BALSA Foundation announced their 2016 grant recipients at an awards ceremony.
One hundred forty-three businesses from various industries applied for the grant. After the submissions were reviewed by an external panel of local entrepreneurs, ten finalists were chosen to pitch their ideas at the awards ceremony. The finalists received cash grants totaling $10,000 as well as in-kind awards valued at $30,000, including co-working space from Tech Artista and T-Rex, legal services from Polsinelli, accounting services from BDO, and marketing support from Clear To Launch.
The BALSA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the BALSA group, promotes social equity and prosperity in the St. Louis region by providing mentorship and resources to help first-time entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses.inalists and their BALSA Grant cash awards are,
Finalists and their BALSA Grant cash awards are:
- Carla C. Soll, Anointed Cake Creations, $2250
- Laura Shields, Arabicano, $1500
- LaTausha DeBoise, ReddyWear, $1250
- Pamela Nolan, Script-Loons, $1000
- Janelle Mack, 2Geez Catering, $1000
- Ashley Clay, Bella Noir Event Rentals, $1000
- Sonia Deal, DEAL-C2, $500
- Arnold Tutson Jr., Rescue Cuts, $500
- Thurman Rhodes, DADDYS, $500
- Karen Buckley, MicroPopShop, $500
The BALSA Foundation will continue to engage with the finalists as they establish their business and work to make it grow. We will provide workshops on business topics, one-on-one mentoring, and opportunities to meet with local business owners for in-depth guidance and advice.
Learn more at the BALSA foundation’s website